Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Spider-man Animated Series Collection


I was going through some stuff the other day and I thought I look in to how the old 90s Spider-man Animated Series collection was doing. As it turns out, not too good I'm afraid. Several figures have yellowed or are beginning to yellow... I decided to take them out for a few photos. It's also been some time since I last did a collection post so here we are.


The Spider-man Animated Series was one of my earliest collections. I loved the cartoon and I loved how good the figures looked. The colours popped especially when displayed together and the likeness of some of these figures was great! The collection was fairly easy to put together. I was quite fortunate to find something I needed whenever I walked into the shops. I got my figures mainly from Emporium, SOGO and Takashimaya. And also John Little and Robinsons. Good times. Some of these stores do not exist anymore...

Anyway on to the figures. It's not a complete collection but I have a good majority of them. Please excuse the lack of accessories. They are in another box somewhere and I got lazy. Lol. 

Starting with some various Spider-man. Toy Biz covered a good bulk of what he wore in the comics at that time. Some of the figures are from other Marvel lines and not the main Spider-man lines. Scarlet Spider for instance was from Marvel Overpower.  


One of my favourite Spider-man figures is the Cyborg Spider-man, based on his appearance in Revenge of the Sinister Six arc in the comics. A really cool figure! Lots of sculpted detail on that one. One of my main regrets was not getting Man-Spider. I had the opportunity but not the budget...


Moving on to the villains. Here's the Insidious Six. The Chameleon was one of the toughest figures to track down. I think it took me months before I managed to get one. You'll notice Rhino is of a different style compared to the others. I use the one from the Web Trap series one as the Animated one I felt was too small in size. I was also bothered with scale back then. Lol.  


Someone was pulling the strings of the Insiduous Six and that was the Kingpin. He along with Smythe are casualties of yellowing as you can see. Vulture was another one which proved very elusive back then.



Toy Biz moved on from the animated style in the later series. The figures do not quite fit in with the main collection. Still they have their own appeal. Red Skull is one of my favourite figures.


Aside from the villains quite a number of allies were released. Blade was the tough one to find in this bunch. 


Madame Web was unexpected but appreciated. I first came to know of her through the cartoon where they sort of did "Spiderverse". Cloak and Dagger are from the exclusive two-pack set. Speaking of two-packs, the biggest want which I failed to get was the Famous Couples set of Spidey and Mary Jane. 


To close, here's J. Jonah Jameson along with my favourite 5" scale Spider-man figure which is from the Sneak Attack series. I love this figure for the big eyes and textured costume. I love it so much I bought two of these and I have still have them till this day.  



That's about it. I hope you enjoyed this little look back at the Spider-man Animated figures. Thanks for viewing!

6 comments:

GIJigsaw said...

What an awesome collection. Great Kingpin figure. Never knew about Madame Web. Thanks for sharing.

J Hernandez said...

Blast from the past!

Hobgoblin238 said...

I had them all but sold them when my father died. Stupid me...oh well...I am slowly getting them back here in Mexico. Found Hobgoblin just last month. He is the only one I have so far.

Big Tone said...

Awesome collection ,sir ��

Kim Dubuisson said...

Wow! So many cool figures.

Unknown said...

nice man! good review